Project 2 Final submission

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Project focus – Images for a social world, theme or story.

For Project Two I decided to create a series of images around the theme of Historical George Town. Local history is a recent passion of mine and living in the third oldest city in Australia gives me lots of interesting places to visit and photograph.

I decided to start my trip around George Town and Low Head at the Low Head Light House. Although not the original light house, it has been standing since 1890 and is the third oldest light station in the Commonwealth after the Macquarie lighthouse (near Sydney 1818) and Iron Pot (Derwent River near Hobart).

I chose not to just photograph the light house but some of the surrounding buildings, including the foghorn building (which is one of only two operating in Australia1), the view back towards Low Head and George Town and the Semaphore signal. I wanted to show viewers that there is more in the area than just the lighthouse and I wanted to share some of the history of the area.

clip_image002 clip_image004

clip_image006clip_image008

The next four images were shot at the Low Head Pilot Station Maritime Museum which sits at the location of the oldest group of pilot buildings located in Australia.
I chose the image of the buoy in front of Pilot’s Row (the home of the Low Head Pilot Station Maritime Museum) as I feel it shows the maritime history of the location in one shot.
The image of church was included mainly because I’ve always been fascinated with old churches. The next image in the series, The Wall, was included because I have become more interested with shooting leading lines and other composition techniques since undertaking this course.
Finally the image of the Boat Crew cottage was chosen as I was hoping to capture some of the historic architecture of the area.

clip_image010 clip_image012

clip_image014 clip_image016

Images were shot on a Nikon D5200 and image editing was done in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop, mainly cropping and adding some vintage effects. The reasoning behind this is was I wanted to create images that had a feeling of age and history, even though they were taken with a modern camera.

Full size images can be viewed in my Historical George Town album on Flickr.


Information comes from Low Head Pilot Station Maritime Museum website http://museum.lowhead.com/

You Might Also Like

0 comments

© Caroline Brown. Powered by Blogger.